You can now make a claim for a grant through the Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS). The scheme allows you to claim a taxable grant of 80% of your average monthly trading profits, which is paid out as a single instalment covering three months, and will be capped at £7,500.
You must make the claim yourself. We, at DRG Chartered Accountants, cannot make the claim on your behalf, as this will trigger a fraud alert and this could cause a significant delay to you receiving your payment.
Self-employed or members of partnerships can make a claim
To make a claim for the SEISS grant, all of the following need to apply:-
- You traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year
- You traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
- You intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021
- Your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus
To make the claim
To make a claim for the SEISS grant, you will need the following information:-
- Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
- National Insurance number
- Government Gateway user ID and password
- UK bank details (your bank account details must accept Bacs payments)
Record keeping and reporting requirements
Usual self employment record keeping apply
You should keep copies of all your records, in line with the usual HMRC self employment record keeping requirements, such as:-
- The SEISS grant amount that you have claimed
- Your SEISS claim reference number
You will need to report the SEISS grant on your Self-Assessment tax return
Evidence demonstrating that your business has been adversely affect by COVID-19
Remember, to keep any evidence to show that your business has been affected by the coronavirus crisis. This could include:-
- Your business accounts showing a reduction in turnover
- Confirmation of any coronavirus-related business loans you have received
- The dates during which your business had to close due to lockdown restrictions
- The dates during which you or your staff were unable to work due to coronavirus symptoms, shielding or caring responsibilities due to school closures
Whilst we, at DRG Chartered Accountants, cannot make the claim for the SEISS grant on your behalf, as this will trigger a fraud alert, please do get in touch the team if you have any questions about the grant, how to claim or if you feel that the grant amount is incorrect.
For further information
Gov.uk website: Check if you can claim a grant through the Self Employment Income Support Scheme
Gov.uk website: Claim a grant through the Self Employment Income Support Scheme
DISCLAIMER: This information is for guidance only, and professional advice should be obtained before acting on any information contained herein. We will not accept any responsibility for loss to any person as a result of action taken or refrained from in consequence of the contents of this publication.